A doula is a woman who nurtures and cares for the expectant mother. She “mothers the mother” while protecting the special bond between new parents. The birth doula enhances the birth experience through information, empathy, empowerment, and physical assistance. A doula is an invaluable part of the birth team in any setting whether the parents choose a hospital, home, or birth center for delivery.
The doula is a unique part of the birthing team. She is hired by the birthing couple to serve the laboring woman. She does not perform any medical tasks or clinical evaluations; these tasks are best left to health care providers. The doula can be totally focused on what the mother needs. Continuity of care is also comforting to the birthing couple. Because her loyalties are solely to the birthing woman and her partner, the mother can rest assured that her physical and emotional needs will be met throughout her labor and birth. A professional doula also promotes positive communication among all members of the birthing team and family.
Doulas and Birth Partners
I believe that preparation and education are extremely important in laying the foundation for a positive birth experience and healthy start to life with a new baby. My goal as a birth Doula is to empower women and their partners to have a great birthing experience and a seamless transition into parenthood. I do this by encouraging childbirth education classes and meeting 2 or 3 times prenatally to prepare for labor and postpartum. Throughout the entire journey of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum I provide informational support, comfort, and reassurance as much as you need it.
Doulas don’t take over the job of a spouse or loved one, but become support for them as well. Having experience with pain management and relaxation techniques I’m able to assist the partner by suggesting ways that they can help. Doulas are there to assume any responsibilities that the partner doesn’t wish to like massage for a longer period of time. Sometimes moms want more than one thing at a time and an extra pair of hands comes in handy. In the event of a long labor, doulas can also switch off with the partner to provide constant support for the laboring mother.
Why Crystal Method Doula service?
As your doula I will never push my opinions on you but will instead inform you of your options and then support you in your decisions. I will come along side you and your partner, without judgement, supporting you and your wishes one hundred percent.
Services May Include:
Varies Per Package and Client
- 2 Prenatal visits (more as needed)
- Identification of your support needs
- Meeting with your care provider if desired and/or hospital
- Unlimited phone consultations continually throughout pregnancy and postpartum
- 24 hour on-call availability during your due date range (2-3 weeks)
- Continuous birth support
- 1-2 Postpartum visits
- Massage class with your partner
- Monthly Massages
- Lactation Education
- Discounts available from CrystalMethodBodywork that can be added to this package
- Ongoing support as needed and extensive referral services
- Help facilitating your birth plan
- Foam rolling help during prenatal visit(s)
During your Pregnancy:
Prenatal visits are done in your home, my home, or a place where you will feel more comfortable. This is the time we talk about your pregnancy and answer any questions you or your partner may have.
During your Labor:
When your labor begins, I will be available as soon as you call. I will come to your home or hospital to be beside you as you labor. I am there to care for you and make sure you are as comfortable and relaxed as possible. At this time I will pamper you, I will use soft music, massage, and any other comfort measure you may need. I will see that you stay calm and focused during this time.
After your baby is born, I will stay with you until I know you are comfortable and to help you with breastfeeding if you desire. I will also do one hospital checkup and I will come to your home, if needed, to help in the first few days. Doula support helps lay the groundwork for a satisfying experience. I believe that every mother needs to feel heard and empowered during her birth experience. My role is also to support your support system – enhancing the people around you. Couples have different desires and hopes for their birth and my goal is to support you with every detail.
My passion is helping parents explore and articulate their hopes for their birth and encouraging them to convey those wishes to their support team. If a couple is well supported, heard, and respected they will treasure their birthing experience and have a postpartum period that sets them up to become confident parents.
- Goes over expectations of birth experience
- Addresses fears or anxieties
- Assists with the completion of a birth plan
- Provides information on topics of interest so that the mother and partner can make informed decisions
- Supports the mother and partner in their decisions and helps to achieve that outcome
- Encouragement for both the mother and partner
- Acknowledgment of mother and partners feelings
- Support for the mother and partners choices
- Massage and Counter Pressure Techniques to relieve tension and pain
- Relaxation techniques, meditation and visualization
- Position changes, walking and movement changes to progress labor
- Heat, ice, water therapies as needed for relief
- Assists with breastfeeding in the first few hours following delivery
- Have a follow up visit to share thoughts about the birth
- Breastfeeding Education
- Certified Lactation Educator, CLE
- DONA Trained Doula